Application

The Sino-USA Summer School in Vision, Learning and Pattern Recognition (VLPR 2010) is open to all qualified master and Ph.D. students, post-docs, researchers from academic and industry. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds.

A limited number of travel fellowships will be awarded to US applicants. For US students, please read about US student eligibility, selection criterion, and fellowship before you apply.

Registration Fee (New!)

Registration is FREE for all students. For all other attendees, the registration fee is 1500RMB (220USD) for faculty and academic research scientists, 3000RMB (440USD) for industry, and 1000RMB (150USD) for post-docs.
In addition, 1200RMB (175USD) will be charged for reception, lunches of 7 days, banquet, and one-day trip in Xi'an, including students. You can either choose pay in cash on site or domestic / international remittance.
Please remit the money to the bank account below:
1. RMB Account for domestic remittance:
开户行: 西安市工商银行互助路支行
户名: 西安交通大学
帐号: 3700023509088100314
2. USD Account for international remittance:
Opening bank: BANK OF CHINA JIAODA BRANCH (中行交大支行)
Account name: Xi'an Jiaotong University (西安交通大学)
Account No.: 103600215153
You are required to fill in remarks column on application form with the following information (IMPORTANT):
VLPR 2010 your name
Please keep the bank slip with you to get the financial invoice or receipt for reimbursement at the registration desk.

Application

The school has a limit on the number of attendees. Currently only 90 spaces are available.
The applicant need to prepare his research statement, resume, and a letter of recommendation for the application.
Please follow the detailed instructions here to apply to VLPR 2010.
Please send an e-mail to suvlpr.xian[at]gmail.com for any questions.

Please look at FAQ (see below) before you apply.

Application Deadline

The Application deadline is July 5th, 2010 (Updated).

US Student eligibility, selection criterion, and fellowship

The summer school provides a great platform for US students to learn from distinguished vision and learning professors, participate in and lead group discussions with Chinese students to exchange research perspectives, and experience a different culture. To apply to the summer school, please follow the application instructions.

Eligibility:

- PhD candidate students, postdocotral scholars working in a US university or research lab.

Selection criterion:

- Applicant should have a strong track record in computer vision and/or machine learning research, demonstrated through courses, publications and the recommendation letter.
- We encourage diversity in gender, race, and academic backgrounds.

FAQ

Q: I am currently an undergraduate, can I apply?

A: The summer school is open to all people. But because the space is limited and the school is intensive and research oriented, we normally do not accept undergraduate applicants. But if you really want to apply to the school, do not forget to attach your CV, a brief description of your research interests, and a recommendation letter from your academic advisor.

Q: Is there anything that I need to submit if I want to apply to VLPR 2010?

A: Every applicant should go through the application website. If you are a student, you should submit 1) CV; 2) letter of recommendation; 3) statement of research, including current/past research projects and future research direction. For other applicants, you need to submit your CV.

Q: It's very late now but I still haven't applied. Does this mean the chance that I got accepted is very low?

A: Not necessarily. The decision of acceptance is made based on a comprehensive evaluation, which includes, but is not limited to, the applicant's research/industrial background, the applicant's contribution to the diversity of the summer school, etc. But once you decide to apply, please apply as soon as possible.

Q: I do not live in Xi'an. If I attend the summer school, where can I stay in Xi'an?

A: Please check our website for this information, including information about travel, hotels, and dining, click here.

Q: I am a student in the US. Is travel assistance available for the flight between the U.S. and China?

A: If you are a student in US and need financial travel assistance, please indicate this in the application page. Pending NSF support there will be a limited number of travel fellowship to students coming from US.

Q: I am a US student. Can I attend the summer school even if I don't get the travel assistance?

A: Yes. We can only provide the travel fellowship awards to a limited number of students. If you do not need travel assistance or your fellowship application is not approved, you can still attend the summer school given that your application to the summer school is accepted. In the application page you can indicate if you need the travel assistance.

Q: My application was rejected, but I really want to get involved with the summer school. What should I do?

A: In order to maintain a high quality summer school, we can only accept a limited number of attendents. For those who cannot attend the summer school, we will put video records of all talks online. Please check our website for those information.